Thursday 6 August 2009

Music is magic



I dunno about everybody else, but I've been seeing a lot of police and ambulance incidents lately. Like last Saturday, I saw three separate incidents of people pulled over by cops. And then on Monday, what a corker! In the parking lot, someone got hurt or something 'cos they barricaded a section with police line. And then on the way home, police and ambulance were in Roe street where I saw a really disturbing incident where a guy was lying on the road with his head underneath the driver side of a car! No brains or blood anywhere, but I still can't imagine how he got there in the first place. There was also an ambulance incident in City West just a few hundred metres from under-the-car guy. Then last night, on the Mitchell, HUGE traffic accident. Saw a
smashed up Honda civic.

Crazy stuff. Better take care on the roads.

Anyways, enough of that.

What I wanted to write about was the event I went to last night. I didn't catch the name of the event, but its pretty much a state school musical event with lots of performances from the many different public primary schools in Western Australia.

If you're thinking choirs, glee clubs, home made costumes, you'd be thinking right.


In all honesty, I wasn't too excited about going. This was a very parent-child "I'm-so-proud-of-you-even-though-I'm-sick-to-death-of-hearing-you-play-the-recorder" sort of event.

Now I wouldn't say the performances where super fantastic. There was a 10 year old girl, who sang so professionally Broadway. She was really good. And the school choirs were as you'd expect a group of children singing in harmony would sound like.

But there were some terrible stuff. Songs played half the pace, some played twice the speed. One group got the timing all messed up and ended sounding like a fruit salad of instrumental noise. And ohhhh the violins!! *shudders*.

During the intermission, I saw parents run to the bar for remedy.

And then there was a young woman singing 'Unfaithful' by Rhianna. Good singer, but *GREAT* song choice. That's the kind of song you want kids in the audience aspiring to. Might as well get started early right?

But in the end, I still had a great time.
Year 1 student in bear uniforms? Too cute!

It was just nice seeing the kids work together and make good music.

In one of the numbers, there's a little boy playing the triangle. He might think his role was pretty minor, but from where I was sitting, I think he made their choir song sound complete.

Very inspirational. The event made me realise how great music *is* once again.

'Cos I've been listening to a lot of commercial radio lately and I think that's been clouding my head. They keep on playing songs they've been paid to play. I mean, how much Bom Bom Pow can one take? I've been missing songs with good lyrics and good melody.

So to get back the music, I'm gonna try to listen to a different radio station every day. Learn a song on my guitar and wipe clean the mp3 player! Time to load up on new tunes. I need old albums and new albums. There's so much good music out there and I can't believe I almost stopped looking for them.

Oh, plus more karaoke sessions.

No comments: